Fiber optic patch cord refers to that connector plugs are installed at both ends of the optical cable to realize the active connection of the optical path; One end with a plug is called a pigtail. Fiber optic patch cords are similar to coaxial cables, except that there is no mesh shield. The center is the glass core of light propagation.
In multimode fiber, the diameter of the core is 50μm~65μm. Roughly equal to the thickness of human hair. The diameter of single-mode fiber core is 8μm~10μm. A glass envelope with a lower refractive index than the core is surrounded outside the core to keep the optical fiber in the core. On the outside is a thin plastic jacket to protect the envelope.
According to different transmission media, fiber optic patch cords can be divided into common single-mode and multi-mode patch cords of silicon-based optical fiber, as well as other fiber optic patch cords with plastic as transmission media.
According to the connector structure, it can be divided into FC patch cord, SC patch cord, St patch cord, LC patch cord, MTRJ patch cord, MPO patch cord, Mu patch cord, SMA patch cord, FDDI patch cord, E2000 patch cord, din4 patch cord, D4 patch cord and so on. Common fiber optic patch cords can also be divided into FC-FC, FC-SC, FC-LC, FC-ST, SC-SC, SC-ST, etc.
Single mode optical fiber: generally, this fiber optic patch cord is represented by yellow and the connector and protective sleeve are blue. The transmission distance is longer.
Multimode optical fiber: generally, this fiber optic patch cord is represented by orange. Some are represented by green and magenta and the connector and protective sleeve are beige or black. The transmission distance is short.
The transmitting and receiving wavelengths of the optical modules at both ends of the fiber optic patch cord must be the same, that is, the two ends of the optical fiber must be optical modules with the same wavelength. The simple way to distinguish is that the color of the optical modules should be the same.
Generally, the short wave optical module uses multimode optical fiber (orange optical fiber) and the long wave optical module uses single-mode optical fiber (yellow optical fiber) to ensure the accuracy of data transmission.
Do not over bend and wrap the optical fiber in use, which will increase the attenuation of light in the transmission process.
After the use of fiber optic patch cord, the optical fiber connector must be protected with protective sleeve. Dust and oil stain will damage the coupling of optical fiber. If the optical fiber connector is dirty, it can be cleaned with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol, otherwise the communication quality will be affected.
1. Before use, the ceramic core and end face of the fiber optic patch cord must be wiped clean with alcohol and absorbent cotton.
2. The minimum bending radius of optical fiber is less than 30mm.
3. Protect the insert core and the end face of the insert core to prevent bumping and pollution. After disassembly, put on the dust cap in time.
4. Do not look directly at the end face of the optical fiber when transmitting the laser signal.
5. In case of damage caused by human and other irresistible factors, the damaged fiber optic patch cord shall be replaced in time.
6. Before installation, carefully read the instructions and carry out installation and commissioning under the guidance of the engineer of the manufacturer or dealer.
7. In case of abnormal conditions in the optical fiber network or system, the troubleshooting method can be used to test one by one. When testing or troubleshooting patch cord faults, you can first conduct on-off test, and usually use visible laser pen to judge the lighting of the whole optical fiber link. Or further use a precision optical fiber insertion loss return loss tester to test its various indicators. If the indicators are within the qualified range, the patch cord indicator is normal, otherwise, it is unqualified.